“Procrastination, too busy/tired to commit to a program, I’m embarrassed to work out in public”
“Myself. I never push myself. I Always say tomorrow”
“Excuses. I tend to always find myself with an excuse and I want to change that.”
“Time, I have 3 young children, a husband, a job, a house, etc…I’m nursing, I’m tired”
“Get my mindset back to eating & living healthy again, lose up to 50 lbs through diet and exercise, feel good again about myself and have motivation to push through the day w/o over eating.”
Since January I’ve been chatting with my members and surveying people on various social media platforms. The above quotes are taken from real people with real struggles.
Can you relate to any of those quotes?
You’re not alone. Everyone has a challenge or struggle they are confronting when it comes to diet exercise and lifestyle.
You’re not perfect, nobody is. We all have our moments where we feel like throwing in the towel. Some days we are going to miss a workout, eat fast food or over indulge in ice-cream with our kids.
At TFW Mahopac we know everyone is different with different needs, goals and challenges. We also know that for each person, diet and exercise strategies are going to differ to lose weight or build muscle or reach whatever goal it is you’ve set for yourself.
If you have gotten side-tracked and need to get back on track with your weight loss, diet and exercise do not stress. Here are 5 effective tips to help get you back on track!
1. Simply, Get Started! My good friend Martin Rooney founder and creator of Training For Warriors is famous for saying “Don’t let the start stop you”. If you want to lose weight, build lean muscle, learn to play guitar or start writing a book you have to start somewhere.
That’s where most people STOP…at the start. So many people have this fear that things have to be perfect to start something.
I hear it all the time, “I’m going to start training with you guys as soon as I get myself in a little better shape.
Can’t get to the gym? Try our Fat Burning Core Workout!
2. Set a Goal: Goal setting is a super important part in achieving results. Setting and achieving, small realistic goals, will build confidence and prove to yourself that you are making progress and are capable of achieving results.
when you start to Believe that you can do it, achieving what you want becomes more attainable. Goals also provide a focal point and can help you remember that weight loss is a process that doesn’t just happen in 21 days. Its a grind that will ultimately yield results through consistency.
3. Make Yourself The Priority: Driving the kids to dance or soccer practice, making sure dinner is ready when your spouse gets home, grocery shopping, taking the dog to the vet because it swallowed your kids toy.
Sound familiar? They’re just a few examples I hear from people and I hear a lot of things in this department.
What they are saying to me is I’m last on the list of priorities in my life. I don’t have time for my own health because I have all these other things I have to do. What i’m saying is. If you’re not healthy you can’t do any of those things. It’s time to to look at your life and make time for yourself. Maybe spend less time watching TV, on Facebook, going to lunch or coffee with friends and more time on your own nutrition and exercise.
4. Find Support Partner: We all need a coach. You don’t have to feel the stress of thinking that you have to do this alone.
A good coach, trainer, or support system can push you beyond what you think you can do and also celebrates your success. You can do more and having other people to remind you of how much you are capable of is very powerful.
Never underestimate the power of positvite thinking!
5. Don’t Beat Yourself UP: It’s easy to beat yourself up when you have a bump in the road, cheat on your diet or don’t get to the gym for a week because you had to work overtime. Don’t let it get you down. Take time to celebrate your successes. Enjoy the journey, we’re all on one.
It’s Never Too Late!
Behavior changes take time, patience and consistency. Learn what you can from the short-term setback, then let it go. Start fresh today, and use the five tips above to get yourself back on-track with your goal!
Coach John's enthusiastic approach and positive energy will get anyone excited about fitness. However it's his ability to motivate and inspire people to do more not just in the dojo but in life that gets results.